25 October 2017
Ravenscraig masterplan puts community at its heart
Plans include park, primary school, housing and employment facilities
A new masterplan has been developed for the next phase of development at Ravenscraig, one of Europe’s largest regeneration projects.
Ravenscraig Ltd will submit the updated plan, which includes proposals for further housing, a primary school close to Carfin, a new 17-acre park, and a convenience store, to North Lanarkshire Council in February 2018.
The masterplan also includes land reserved for commercial businesses and organisations offering employment opportunities.
Members of the public are invited to view the proposals at a series of drop-in exhibitions:
- Tuesday 21 November, 2.30pm until 8pm, Ravenscraig Regional Sports Facility
- Wednesday 22 November, 3pm until 7.30pm, John McCormack Community Centre, Carfin
- Thursday 23 November, 3pm until 7.30pm, Jim Fowley Community Centre, Wishaw
Nick Davies, director of Ravenscraig Ltd, said: “We have ongoing plans to redevelop the Ravenscraig site, one of the most important urban regeneration projects in Europe. Since development work began in 2006, we have welcomed New College Lanarkshire, Ravenscraig Regional Sports Facility, the Ravenscliff pub and hotel, and hundreds of homes to the site.
“The new Masterplan reflects the needs of the modern community, with a focus on high quality housing, social inclusion and substantial green space to allow the local community to play and exercise.
“Employment opportunities play a central role in immediate development plans and conversations are underway with potential commercial occupants.”
The new planning application follows extensive engagement by Ravenscraig Ltd and a community consultation hosted by North Lanarkshire Council in November 2016. Feedback called for a primary school, convenience store, local job opportunities and greenspace, all of which will be developed in the short term as part of the new Masterplan.
Ravenscraig Ltd is a joint venture partnership between Scottish Enterprise, Wilson Bowden Ltd and Tata Steel.
For further information on Ravenscraig contact Natalie Buxton at Weber Shandwick on 0141 343 3257/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
The early phases of the 2017 Ravenscraig Masterplan include:
- Around 550 new homes between 2018 and 2021 to add to the approximately 450 completed homes to date.
- A new primary school to be developed when there are 1,000 homes on Ravenscraig land. The developers expect this to be within three to five years.
- A new site for a convenience store close to the Marston’s pub and hotel in addition to other local community shops.
- Space for offices and commercial businesses in the town centre, as well as other business opportunities on the employment sites located to the west of the site.
- Over 17 acres of parkland, including spaces for play, sport, nature and much more.
About Ravenscraig Ltd
Ravenscraig Ltd is a joint venture comprising Scottish Enterprise, Wilson Bowden Developments and Tata Steel.
Working together, this partnership seeks to redevelop the former Ravenscraig Steelworks site in a way that will have real economic impact for North Lanarkshire and further afield.
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/scotent
Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/scottishenterprise