Smart speaker-compatible kettle launched
Smart Wi-Fi Kettle is first product brought to market by smart appliances company WeeKett
Edinburgh-based smart appliances start-up WeeKett has launched its new product, the innovative Smart Wi-Fi Kettle, to consumers across the UK. With inbuilt Wi-Fi connectivity, the smart kettle brings the “internet of things” (IoT) into the kitchen, allowing users to boil the kettle and control its temperature remotely via a mobile app or ‘smart speakers’ such as the Amazon Echo and Google Home.
With smartphone connectivity, users can schedule the kettle to boil in advance or set it to the exact water temperature of choice. The kettle also includes an inbuilt “baby-bottle” mode that sets the kettle to boil, before resting to a temperature of 70° – ideal for busy new parents needing to top up infant milk formula.
Setting the WeeKett Smart Wi-Fi Kettle apart from other smart kettles is its useful “safe boil” safety feature. In the event of dry boiling (whereby the kettle boils when empty), the kettle will automatically turn off, disconnect from the network and send an alert to the user letting them know the kettle needs refilling.
The WeeKett Smart Wi-Fi Kettle is the first product brought to market by University of Edinburgh graduate Chunli Zhang, who began developing the smart kettle in 2018 as the first in a planned line of internet-connected home appliances. Seeing an opportunity to use new IoT technologies to make modern family life easier, Zhang envisions the WeeKett kettle bringing added convenience to the lives of a range of users, especially people with small children or mobility issues.
Chunli Zhang, CEO and founder of WeeKett, said: “I’m excited to launch this game-changing smart kettle – the kettle that’s ready whenever you are. Whether you’re busy with work, caring for your family, or looking to set it to boil first thing in the morning, your smartphone or smart speaker lets you control the kettle whenever you need it.
“We’ve had such brilliant feedback from people already using the sample WeeKett smart kettle in their homes. For new parents, there is the convenience of the baby-bottle mode, and we have had great feedback from people with mobility issues who love being able to switch on the kettle from another room. It’s fun and easy to use the kettle remotely, especially just by talking to Alexa or Google Home.
“IoT technology is such an incredibly exciting development, with the potential to not only save time with simple tasks, but to make our lives easier too. I’m so happy to finally be bringing the first WeeKett product to consumers.”
Scottish Enterprise Innovation Specialist, Thea Ni Lionnain, said: “I’ve worked with Chunli and WeeKett since the concept stage of their smart kettle, so it’s an absolute pleasure to see the finished product now launched. Through our innovation specialist service, we were able to connect the business with Scottish design agencies, and our Intellectual Property team supported the business with an IP Audit.
"We also supported the business with the acquisition of a By Design grant to help create a prototype. With such an innovative and practical product, we’re sure the company will continue to grow and flourish in the world of IoT technology.”
Al Bryce, Business Growth Advisor at Business Gateway Edinburgh, who provided support to WeeKett through the company’s early stages of development, said: “It was great to work alongside Chunli as she looked to turn her innovative business idea and passion for technological solutions into an exciting new product for the UK market.
“With ever-growing interest in smart household technology, I am thrilled Business Gateway has been able to support this exciting Edinburgh-based company’s development. We look forward to seeing what future products WeeKett has in the pipeline.”
The WeeKett Smart Wi-Fi Kettle is available for order now in the UK directly through the company website.
For media queries, please contact:
Mark McIntyre, Spreng Thomson
T: 0141 548 5191
M: 0779 176 0087
Notes to Editors
WeeKett is a smart appliances start-up company based in Edinburgh, established in 2018 by Chunli Zhang, with support from Scottish Enterprise, Business Gateway Edinburgh, and the University of Edinburgh. One of the first smart home appliance companies in the UK, WeeKett aims to make modern family living easier, one switch at a time, through ‘Internet of Things’ (IoT) technologies.
The WeeKett name is inspired by the company’s provenance, being founded in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- The WeeKett Smart Wi-Fi Kettle is fully compatible with smart speakers such as Amazon Echo and Google Home – for example, say “Alexa, turn on the kettle”, or “Hey Google, turn my kettle on to 85°” to set the kettle to the desired temperature. It also works with Siri via iPhone “Shortcuts”.
- The WeeKett Smart Wi-Fi Kettle can be controlled via existing smart home management apps such as “Smart Life – Smart Living” (Android, iOS), allowing boiling to be controlled and scheduled remotely via smartphone.
- The kettle has a capacity of 1.7 litres (7 cups) and features a 360° cordless base, water level indicator, removable limescale filter, and intelligent boil dry protection. A “baby bottle mode” switch, designed following NHS guidelines, will set the kettle to boil before holding at a temperature of 70°, making it a handy time-saver for new parents.
- Watch the WeeKett Smart Wi-Fi Kettle promotional video here.
- The market for smart home devices is continuing to grow globally, with Europe experiencing the strongest quarter ever at the end of 2019, with almost 39.9 million smart home devices sold – a 20.4% increase compared to the fourth quarter in 2018 (IDC Report – 06 April 2020). Tech UK / GsK’s 2019 State of the Connected Home Report found that ‘smart home appliances’ were the fastest growing category of smart home devices in terms of rising appeal amongst consumers.